How To Start

More Useful Information

How to Start


Find a new home – the Shelter website is helpful.

Contact your landlord – phone! Make sure you have the correct phone numbers.

Problems with repairs? Problems with housing?

Contact Y.A.S.P – 0161 221 3054 – This organisation can help young people who are confused or need help with housing issues. The Young Adult Advice & Support Project (YASP for short) is based in Levenshulme. They can help you sort out any difficulties with housing, benefits and debts.

If you have problems with your landlord, housing or you are worried about becoming homeless please contact Shelter on their housing advice helpline – 0808 800 4444.

Get the gas/ electricity/ water connected and the meters read.

You can ask your landlord about who the current suppliers are. Your new landlord should have phone numbers for them. Don’t forget to get the meter read if it is not a ‘pay as you use system’ so you are not paying for something that other people used before you moved in!

How do I pay my bills?

There are different ways to pay. Some things are ‘pay as you use’ and then you have a payment card to top up with money. Sometimes you can pay through your bank monthly by ‘Direct Debit’. Don’t forget to put money into your account or the bank may charge you for being overdrawn.

If you have a TV, you must have a TV licence!

If they find that you don’t have one they can fine you lots of money!

Council Tax/ Housing Benefit/ Job Seekers Allowance

Contact helps you sort these things out as part of the Moving On Policy that we have. Contact also ensures you have appropriate support in place when you move into your own home. You could also get help from the Job Centre with filling in these forms.

Don’t forget that most people are helpful but if you need help with forms or get confused with all the paperwork then go to see the Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) and they can help you.
To get an appointment either go directly to your nearest centre or phone:
Citizen’s Advice Bureau – 08701 264 626

Register with a doctor

It is a good idea to register with a doctor. Go to your nearest doctor’s surgery and they will help you. Sometimes you have to see the doctor after you have filled out the forms so make sure you have enough time to do this. Don’t forget that if you don’t like your doctor you can change your doctor!

Having problems with periods? Sexual health and who to ask for help.

There are lots of different places to ask for help. There are two very good places to ask for advice: Withington Community Hospital – 0161 217 3553 and Forum Health, Wythenshawe – 0161 435 3509. They specialize in women’s health and in reproductive/sexual health for women. There is no problem they have not seen before and they are never embarrassed. If you live too far from them you can phone them and ask for a centre near to you.

Legal help

If you need legal help then phone the South Manchester Law Centre – 0161 225 5111